A Brief School History
Although plans to construct this school can be traced back to the 4th of March 1903, it was 1930 by the time the building we know today as Luqa Primary School was finally completed.
There was much controversy about where the school was to be located. However, on the 4th of April 1927, Dr. G. Adami, who was the Minister for Public Works at the time, made it clear that the site earmarked for the building of the school was in St. Andrew’s Street. Land was purchased from the brothers Calleja and Bezzina and by June that same year, construction was well underway. Shortly after unfortunately, general elections threw a spanner in the works. When Architect Edwin Vassallo became the new Minister for Public Works he resurrected the controversy regarding the school’s location and in October he halted the construction hoping to have the school built in Dokkiena Street albeit to no avail. Progress on the construction site was too far in advance for any relocation to be made possible. On the 15th of September 1930 Luqa Primary School proudly welcomed its first pupils. Mr Saviour Gatt, who later became Director of Education, was the headmaster to the male student component and Miss Maria Dalli took on the role of headmistress.
Luqa Primary School which for a number of years was George Schinas Primary, still stands. It was named after the Director of Public Works who carried out various improvements in this village. This typical quadrangle building is adorned by a flowering front-garden and also hosts a modest yet fruitful orange-grove. Its large central yard accounts for a sunny, warm and hospitable reception, features that are also reflected in the school ethos. It is presently undergoing total refurbishment that will see it evolve as one of the state-of-the art scholastic buildings in Malta.
In 2001 a major refurbishment programme began. With the exception of the façade, the 75 year-old school was practically re-built from scratch. The school has a second floor built on the one floor storey buildings. There are now 24 new classrooms, a Kindergarten, administration offices, a public library, a clinic, resource room, gym, science, literacy, music and art rooms together with a multi-functional hall and a community hall housing 250 persons.
A football pitch 5-a-side with artificial turf has been laid.
The school was inaugurated on 3rd April, 2006 by the Honourable Prime Minister Dr L. Gonzi.
Luqa Primary School through the ages
by Ms. Marica Barbara
The Old School Badge
The school logo is the St Ignatius College logo. However, up to some years ago, the school had its own logo which was also used on the school uniform. It was designed by Mr Joe Camilleri, an artist from Mqabba who was also a teacher at our school for no less than twenty years.
The design of this school badge brings together a number of features in a true holistic fashion. One can thus identify: